February 2022: Heart Health Awareness Month❤️
According to the WHO (World Health Organization), 17,9 million people die each year from CVD (cardiovascular diseases), an estimated 32% of all death worldwide. Cardiovascular diseases disproportionately impact women and are responsible for 35% of deaths in women each year. In this article, you will find a listing of useful resources and activities to help you raise awareness and advocate for heart health during Heart Month.
🗣️ Advocate for heart health and educate people in your network
Don’t know where to start? We’ve got you covered. We compiled a list of websites that offer key facts and figures to advocate for heart health:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention created a series of toolkits available here with different key messages adapted to different audiences (health care professionals, public health professionals or individuals and patients).
- Live in the United States and want state-specific information to raise awareness of CVD? The NHLBI info cards can be shared in any state: access resources
- The WHO also shared global statistics to reshare with your network: download fact sheets
- Looking for statistics on women and CVD? The Lancet Women and Cardiovascular Disease Commission offers an abundance of resources. Now is a great time to reshare them with your network.
🩺 Encourage people of your network to make heart health a part of their routine
Share tips and encourage people in your network to make heart health a priority in their self-care routine. Below, you’ll find a series of social media graphics and materials to share this month:
- The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute created a series of materials, part of the #OurHeart campaign, along with inspirational self-care quotes and more: See now
- NHLBI also gives you the opportunity to create your own social media graphics using their PowerPoint template: Available here
- On Friday, February 4th, it’s National Wear Red, get ready and download your shareable graphics here
🗓️ Join offline and online events
Many organizations organize events during February 2022. A few are highlighted below:
- World Heart Observatory of the World Heart Federation
- National Wear Red Day on February 4th
- American Heart Month Recognition – The Color of Life by the COPPIN state university
The media outlet Everyday health created a great article with most of the major Heart Month events in the United States. Check it out here
👩⚕️ Go the extra mile and see 25 ways to take part in Heart Month
And as rightly said by the American Heart Organization, Losing even one woman is not an option.
Advocate for women and their health this month and every month!